Ryan's Notes From God's Word

Thanks for dropping by and reading my thoughts I've penned from my contemplations on God's Word throughout the day. Please post your comments!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

My life took a sharp turn in August of 2004 when I let God's law magnify the grace of the cross of Christ to my heart. I began to realize why I was unable to obey Jesus' commandments. Until this point, I was still ultimately living for myself despite my profession of faith. Luke 7:47 has become real to me, and I have fallen in love with Jesus Christ and now give Him everything that I am and that I have. Since then, I have discovered God's heart in seeking and saving the lost, His call to discipleship, and the necessity of standing for truth and against error. PLEASE NOTE: I have moved several of my blogs to an independent website (http://strivetoenter.com/) and no longer maintain my blogger blogs.

Friday, March 11, 2005

We Are The Light of The World (Matt 5:14)

What does it mean to be "the light of the world" that Jesus claims we are? It is important to understand the answer to this question as we are commanded to be a light and not to hide it. Note that being light to the world is distinguished from being the salt of the Earth (I will cover what it means to be the salt of the Earth in another post).

The Example of Jesus as "The Light"
Since Jesus lives in and through those with saving faith, and since we are to be like Him, statements made about Jesus and by Jesus reveal what it means to be a light.

In Matthew 4:16-17, we are told that Jesus, the Great light (or morning star), preached repentance from the beginning (or dawning) of His ministry to those sitting in great darkness, in the land and shadow of death.

Recall also that Simeon blesses Jesus as a baby and says the following over Him:
...then he took Him into his arms, and blessed God, and said, "...For my eyes have seen Your salvation, which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples, A LIGHT OF REVELATION TO THE GENTILES, And the glory of Your people Israel. ... [and speaking to Mary] Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed-- and a sword will pierce even your own soul--to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed."
So Jesus was the light of God's revelation to the Gentiles! Simeon says that this meant He was going to be a sign of opposition, causing the rise and fall of many in Israel. Also, being a light meant revealing the thoughts of hearts. In Mark 4:22, Jesus states: "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light."

The Bible defines the source of light (the Word and commandments of God) in the following:
  1. Prov 6:23 states: "For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; And reproofs for discipline are the way of life."
  2. In Psalm 119:105-112, David declares "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws."
...more to come

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home