Ryan's Notes From God's Word

Thanks for dropping by and reading my thoughts I've penned from my contemplations on God's Word throughout the day. Please post your comments!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

My life took a sharp turn in August of 2004 when I let God's law magnify the grace of the cross of Christ to my heart. I began to realize why I was unable to obey Jesus' commandments. Until this point, I was still ultimately living for myself despite my profession of faith. Luke 7:47 has become real to me, and I have fallen in love with Jesus Christ and now give Him everything that I am and that I have. Since then, I have discovered God's heart in seeking and saving the lost, His call to discipleship, and the necessity of standing for truth and against error. PLEASE NOTE: I have moved several of my blogs to an independent website (http://strivetoenter.com/) and no longer maintain my blogger blogs.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Difficult Passages: 1 Samuel 15:1-3

1 Samuel 15:1-3 Then Samuel said to Saul, "The LORD sent me to anoint you as king over His people, over Israel; now therefore, listen to the words of the LORD. (2) "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he set himself against him on the way while he was coming up from Egypt. (3) 'Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" (NASB)
This is certainly a difficult passage. Perhaps King Solomon has some pertinent wisdom for us on this matter:
Eccl 11:5 Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. (NASB)
Yes... who are we to judge God for what He does. After all, this verse really only scratches the surface. What about the most obvious stuff like how all the women, children... everything that lived was destroyed in the flood, or how the women and children (including the pregnant ones) were burned directly by God in the fire and brimstone of Sodom and Gomorrah. And lest we forget the punishment of Hell that is bestowed upon all who do not repent and believe the gospel... and that is ETERNAL conscious torment, day and night forever and ever. Could this really be reasonable punishment for merely rejecting God's free gift? Indeed, it is... it must be. How can the mind even begin to comprehend this.

However, in verse 18, it says that God's command was 'Go and utterly destroy the sinners... and fight against them until they are exterminated.' God's command here is severe, but no doubt the sins of the Amalekites had added up to heaven. Saul obeyed except he kept the king alive and the best of the sheep (as he intended to save them for sacrifice to God -- see v21). But look at God's response through Samuel:
1 Samuel 15:22-23 "Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has also rejected you from being king." (NASB)
Notice that although Saul begged for mercy, he did not get it. Disobedience is the same as rejecting God's Word. He demands FULL obedience. We cannot mostly obey and follow our own way. This scripture really puts a healthy fear of God in me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home